The Athletic is a direct-to-consumer digital sports media company committed to helping subscribers experience storytelling in a whole new way. Founded in 2016 and headquartered in San Francisco, The Athletic has over 500 full-time employees and covers more than 250 professional sports and collegiate teams in the US, Canada and the UK. The Athletic’s newsroom has produced thousands of in-depth articles along with more than 120 podcasts and premium video content. The Athletic is a remote-friendly company as we have offices in San Francisco, Los Angeles, London, and Melbourne.
About the Role
The Athletic is excited to be seeking an All-Sport Daily Newsletter writer to join our newly formed newsletter team. The ideal candidate is an exceptional technical writer who is deeply engaged with sports news, commentary and conversion. They also enjoy the challenge of producing succinct copy that’s filled with personality in a short time. The best candidate is eager to learn, loves nerding out over modern media strategy, and enjoys building meaningful media products from scratch.
- Conceptualize and develop the long-term newsletter strategy and vision
- Curate, write and edit The Athletic’s all-sport daily newsletter
- Use news judgment to determine what items should be included in the newsletter each day
- Collaborate with The Athletic’s global newsroom to provide the best analysis for your newsletter
- Work cross-functionally with supporting teams, including audience development, content analytics, product, performance marketing and CRM to grow the newsletter
- Use real-time metrics to get feedback on what’s working within the newsletter
- Fact-check and copy edit newsletter content as needed
- Ensure that copy is clean and everything is correctly edited
- At least 4 years of experience in digital sports journalism, with experience in newsletter a plus
- Exceptional news judgment
- High-end knowledge of major professional, international and collegiate sports
- Command of a highly engaging editorial voice (i.e., clever and concise)
- Ability to operate in a high-pressure environment while maintaining fastidiousness
- World-class communication skills with the ability to manage multiple stakeholders
- Openness to feedback and fast iteration based on key data insights
The Company is backed by Founders Fund, Evolution Media, Courtside Ventures, Comcast Ventures, Bedrock Capital, Advancit Capital, Y Combinator, and other leading investors. The Athletic is headquartered in San Francisco, California. The Athletic was awarded a 2020 Great Place to Work.
The Athletic Media Company is an equal opportunity employer and enthusiastically encourages people from all backgrounds and experiences to apply. The Athletic will consider all applicants without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, physical and/or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, age, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or any other protected characteristic under applicable law.
To apply for this job please visit bit.ly.