About the Role:
Verywell Health is looking for remote writers and editors with experience working on health and/or science content. You should be capable of explaining complex medical or scientific terminology and concepts in a clear, accurate, and useful manner. In this role, you will edit and rewrite articles to ensure they are clear, easy to understand, and accurate: detailed but not overwhelming, empathic but not overly casual.
A successful candidate must provide at least four published clips that clearly demonstrate expertise with health and/or medical content. Consumer-facing editorial experience at a digital publication preferred. Please share as PDFs or links in your cover letter. Successful candidates will be able to pass a short editing test.
As a health website that reaches more than 30 million readers per month, we have the power and responsibility to create positive change. Please read our Anti-Racism Pledge as part of considering your interest in this role.
As part of our commitment, we are focusing our hiring efforts on diversity, equity, and inclusion to build a team that reflects our mission for racial equity in everything we do.
This is a remote position, but applicants must live within the United States and be able to commit at least 20 hours per week (with a maximum weekly commitment of 40 hours).
About Your Contributions:
- Review existing articles on a variety of health and medical topics, and revise content in accordance with project instructions
- Identify and update outdated material, including noting where visuals or videos are outdated or no longer accurate
- Identify opportunities to proactively improve content by rewriting, summarizing, restructuring, strengthening sourcing, incorporating visual elements, filling coverage gaps, and more
- At least three years experience writing or editing scientific and medical content to ensure it is simple, straightforward, clear, and non-intimidating for the layperson
- Comfortable with content management systems
- Detail-oriented, deadline-focused, and independent
- Bachelor’s degree required
Dotdash brands help people find answers, solve problems, and get inspired. We reach over 90 million people each month, more than 35% of the U.S. online population, according to comScore, and are one of the largest content publishers on the Internet. Dotdash brands collectively have won more than 50 industry awards in the last year alone, and are among the fastest-growing in their categories. Our brands include Verywell Health, Verywell Fit, Family, Mind, Investopedia, The Balance, The Spruce Eats, The Spruce Home, Pets, Crafts, Lifewire, Byrdie, MyDomaine, TripSavvy, Brides, Liquor.com, TreeHugger, Mother Nature Network, Simply Recipes, Serious Eats, and ThoughtCo.
Please be aware of fraudulent recruiters offering opportunities at Dotdash. Note that any correspondence with a member of the Dotdash recruiting team will come from a @dotdash.com or a [email protected] account belonging to a Dotdash Recruiter. If you are in conversations for a job opportunity and wish to confirm its validity, please reach out directly to [email protected]
Dotdash embraces inclusivity and values our diverse community. We are committed to building a team based on qualifications, merit and business need. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
To apply for this job please visit bit.ly.