We’re Tovala, a food-tech company completely reinventing home cooking to save consumers time. Through an innovative combination of hardware, software, and food, we give our customers a way to enjoy really good, good-for-you meals without sacrificing time to do whatever matters to them. We’ve amassed a loyal, rapidly growing following in just three years, radically changing the day-to-day lives of people across the country and successfully creating a new model for the food industry. We’re looking for great people to join our team of hard-working, food-loving nerds.
“If Tovala stopped existing…[it] would probably have as much an impact in my life [as] if Uber were to go away.” – Mike T., Tovala Customer
About the job.
We’re looking for a Menu Editor to join our marketing team on a temporary part-time basis. In this role, you’ll be in charge of owning and editing our weekly menu copy for style, consistency, and accuracy. You will report to our Senior Copywriter & Editor.
How you’ll spend your time at Tovala.
- Own and edit menu copy on a weekly basis for our marketing website, user accounts, mobile app, and printed meal packaging. This includes proofing meal names, descriptions, nutrition information, nutrition-related meal tags, ingredients and allergens, web/app customer-facing and prospective customer-facing menus, and meal packaging before print to ensure adherence to our brand/”Tovala Style,” clarity of content, consistency, and accuracy.
- Work closely with the culinary team and Senior Copywriter & Editor to ensure menu copy accurately reflects our brand and every meal’s individual ingredients and flavors.
- Self-manage your time and efforts.
- Bachelor’s degree.
- Relevant experience in marketing/writing/editing during undergrad AND/OR 1-3 years of part-time or full-time copy editing/proofing experience.
- A big plus? You have working knowledge of AP Style and Chicago Style. (“Tovala Style” is based on Chicago Style.)
- Another big plus? You love reading and writing about food as much as you love eating it.
- You’re a savvy copy editor, comfortable working with style guidelines and fact-checking (and checking, and double-checking) to ensure copy’s accuracy.
- You’re a self-starter. You take the initiative to learn and do whenever possible.
- You’re a great collaborator who can work with a diverse group of people (designers, comms strategists, engineers, chefs, customer support agents, etc.) to iterate on and create the best possible copy.
- You can balance focusing on the nitpicky things (like grammar and word choice) and the big picture (tone of voice/brand) in your own writing and when editing the writing of others.
- You love words in a really nerdy way. You get a thrill from finding a killer turn of phrase and can’t help cringing at misused commas, but you know that grammar rules are sometimes dumb and made to be broken.
- You understand the interplay between visuals and copy, and how they work together to communicate a message to your audience.
- You can write boldly and concisely, but in a way that’s real and conversational, too.
- You love food, whether that means cooking it, eating it, frequently pressing your nose against deli windows, or lusting after soft-serve on Instagram. All fair game.
To apply for this job please visit bit.ly.