Manning is an independent publisher of computer books and video courses for software developers, engineers, architects, system administrators, managers and all who are professionally involved with the computer business. We also publish for students and young programmers, including occasionally for children. We are an entirely virtual organization based on Shelter Island, New York, with many staff working from far-flung places like Manila and Zagreb.
Manning Publications is seeking copy editors and proofreaders who have a long and successful record of editing and proofing book-length manuscripts. We pride ourselves on the fact that Manning books are carefully developed and edited. Our authors are experts in their respective fields – many of them are also very good writers – but most of them need professional assistance in streamlining their texts and making them as clear and accessible as possible. That’s where you come in! If you are detail-oriented and would enjoy working for a company that sets very high standards of excellence, this job may be for you.
This is a freelance, remote position.
- Read, review, and edit manuscripts for accuracy in grammar and content.
- Edit copy to improve clarity and ensure content accessibility for the target audience.
- Verify terms, sources, and URLs using standard reference resources.
- Manage communication, schedule, and processing of edits and rounds of proof with author and project manager.
- Expertise with standard editorial concepts, practices, and procedures.
- Basic familiarity with technical and computer terms.
- Familiarity with The Chicago Manual of Style, 17th edition.
- Ability to work with internal style guides and to create project-specific stylesheets as the project requires.
- Flexibility, creativity, and the ability to communicate well with team members and authors.
- Ability to work on tight schedules. Our books are time-sensitive and often require a rush schedule.
- 3–5 years of prior editorial experience in a technical environment.
- Bachelor’s degree and 4–8 years of professional work experience, preferably for a book publisher.
- Superior organization and time-management skills.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Ability to work in a team environment, yet be self-directed and proactive.
- Experience editing in MS Word required; experience editing in new authoring tools such as AsciiDoc, Markdown, and XML preferred, but not required as long as you have the willingness to learn.
apply for this position
Please send a cover letter and your resume to [email protected] with Copy Editor/Proofreader in the subject line.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com