Vox Media, LLC
As the leading independent modern media company, Vox Media ignites conversations and influences culture. Across digital, podcasts, TV, streaming, live events, and print, we tell stories that affect our audience’s daily lives and entertain as much as they inform.
Our portfolio features influential and respected editorial properties including Vox, New York Magazine, The Verge, The Cut, Eater, Vulture, The Strategist, Polygon, SB Nation, Intelligencer, Curbed, Grub Street and Recode. Off-platform, the Vox Media Podcast Network offers one of the largest collections of popular podcasts, and Vox Media Studios produces and distributes the award-winning nonfiction shows. Powered by innovative technology that scales quality, the Chorus publishing platform and Concert advertising marketplace answer the always-changing needs of modern audiences, creators and marketers.
Vox Media has been named one of Fast Company’s “Most Innovative Companies in Media,” an Inc. “Company of the Year,” Digiday’s “Best Company for Parents,” and one of the Best Places to Work for LGBTQ Equality by the Human Rights Campaign.
Eater is looking for an experienced editor, reporter, and manager to lead its San Francisco site, one of its marquee publications. In its last year, Eater San Francisco has offered deep and nuanced coverage of the Bay Area food scene, and comprehensive coverage of restaurants opening, closing, and reshaping amid a year-long pandemic. In this role, you will manage a small team of editors and reporters, develop a grounding vision for the site as it moves into its next phase of coverage, and write original reported stories and features that speak to the communities that comprise the Bay Area.
What you’ll do:
- Have a vision of the food and restaurant culture in San Francisco, the East Bay, and greater Bay Area — and Eater’s stance on it
- Manage a team of two journalists, including full- and part-time reporters
- Oversee all of the site’s stories, including daily news, maps, and service pieces, features, and other reporting
- Build on the existing editorial calendar, including planning longer lead features, trend stories, and packages
- Oversee production and strategy for Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, and newsletters for Eater SF, keeping in line with Eater’s standards
- Participate in cross-brand promotional efforts and collaboration with the national Eater.com team as communicated by other team managers
- Ensure all copy onsite is copy-edited and meets our style guide and editorial standards
- Assign and edit the work of freelancers; ensure a freelancer pool that reflects the diverse voices and communities in your city
- Ensure all posts are SEO optimized and that headlines meet our standards
- Track openings, closures, and develop a deep network of sources, including chefs, restaurateurs, relevant spokespeople, and alternative sources for coverage as needed
- Direct coverage of the unveiling crisis surrounding COVID-19 and its impact on the Bay Area’s restaurant community
- Appear on panels, radio, and other public appearance as appropriate for the brand
What you’ll bring:
- Extensive experience in journalism, particularly with breaking daily news, developing sources, covering a beat, and editing other writers
- A vision for ambitious storytelling, including features and thesis-driven projects and packages
- Comfort with cold calling and a sense of urgency surrounding the fast pace of digital news
- A drive to continue Eater’s reputation as the number one source furthering the conversations about the restaurant world in your city.
- A drive to predict vs. react to the news cycle; an ability to create proactive vs. reactive narratives about the restaurant industry
- Strong news judgment, reporting accuracy, and attention to detail, plus a careful eye for story packaging
- Deep interest in digital headline writing, SEO/analytics, and social media publishing
- A love for restaurants and knowledge of the local scene and at the very least a voracious hunger to become an expert in the industry
- Experience managing and providing mentorship and meaningful feedback to a team
- Someone who thrives when building and expanding on existing editorial calendars, news breaking processes, and internal team systems
Bonus points for:
- Experience covering business, real estate, the restaurant industry, or legal matters
- Experience with photography and visual story processes
- Experience with writing and/or editing long-lead, high-touch feature stories
This role is a part of the Vox Media Union, represented by the Writers Guild of America, East
About working at Vox Media:
This is a permanent, full-time position with excellent benefits—including flexible hours and generous parental leave. Vox Media strives to provide comprehensive healthcare options for our employees and to ensure that our healthcare and other benefits are LGBTQ-inclusive. You’ll be joining a group of focused, hard-working, creative people who are passionate about doing work that’s challenging and fun—and who strive to maintain a healthy work/life balance.
Vox Media is committed to building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and everyone is encouraged to apply. Vox Media is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, age, or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state, or local law.
To apply for this job please visit bit.ly.