VMware is the leader in cloud infrastructure, business mobility, and virtualization software, empowering customers to modernize their IT operations from the desktop to the data center. Within the VMware Tanzu franchise, we provide a set of products and services to help customers adopt cloud native technologies and software development practices. From specific technologies like Kubernetes to broad disciplines like DevOps, we are all about modernization.
As a part-time Content Editor, you’ll work with our content and editorial team to ensure blog posts, white papers, ebooks, and other content types meet our standards for readability. You will own major aspects of the publishing process, including being the primary point of contact for authors across product marketing, engineering, and other departments.
Success in the Role: What are the performance goals over the first 6–12 months you will work toward completing?
You will be responsible for:
- Copy editing: You will ensure that content is easy to read and understand, is grammatically correct, and adheres to internal and industry-standard style guidelines. We are not a high-volume publishing environment, but accuracy, adherence to style guides, and ability to meet deadlines do matter. Our customers and prospects expect high-quality content, and in a fast-paced, high-growth market segment, it’s critical that the publication machine runs smoothly.
- Publishing blog posts: You will manage the publication process for posts on the VMware Tanzu blog, which includes formatting and scheduling posts using the content management system (CMS). You might not have worked with our specific CMS, but you’ll eventually be a master of all aspects of formatting and publishing blog posts and other content within it.
- Formatting with basic HTML: You don’t need to build web pages, but publishing occasionally requires editing source code with basic HTML for formatting.
- Optimizing content: You’ll use your understanding of SEO, publishing, and social media best practices to refine content to be readable, accurate, informative, and also perform well online.
- Maintaining YouTube channel: Organize and maintain the VMware Tanzu channel to ensure we’re highlighting the latest and greatest videos. You will also upload and stage videos for publication.
You will be expected to:
- Work with authors: Help authors, many of whom are not frequent writers, to produce clear copy for their intended audiences. We are a global team, with people located around the world and bringing diverse professional backgrounds and skill sets to the table. You’ll need to be adaptable and use excellent interpersonal communication skills to collaborate across time zones, and communicate clearly via Slack and email.
- Explain editorial choices: Many of our writers are technology experts, not publishing experts. When necessary, you’ll need to use your familiarity with editorial style guides and best practices to diplomatically explain why some changes are important or recommended. You’ll be a resource when people have questions regarding writing, spelling, or grammar.
- Distill technical information while maintaining accuracy: Our content covers trends and intricacies of the cloud native and software development spaces (Kubernetes, containers, DevOps, etc.). You’ll need to understand this content, and ensure that it is readable without dumbing it down or inadvertently changing the meaning.
- Work with online collaboration tools: We edit collaboratively using Google Docs and Sheets, and we plan content transparently with SmartSheets and Trello. Familiarity with these (or similar) tools or the ability to learn them quickly will help you work with the team effectively out of the gate.
What is leadership like for this role? What is the structure and culture of the team like?
This role will report into Jennifer Krazit, Content Operations Manager. The direct team, Portfolio Product Marketing, is small but part of a growing product marketing team that is globally geographically distributed. Our marketing is collaborative, agile, and constantly tuned to the needs of our customers and business. Our team is highly distributed, but we are a warm and welcoming group, and we value getting to know each other with social chats and activities.
Where is the role located?
This part-time role can be done remotely anywhere in North America. If you live in the surrounding area of any VMware campus, you will have the option to work from the office partly or fully if you wish to do so.
Due to the Biden Administration issuing an Executive Order (EO) that effectively mandates COVID-19 vaccination for all U.S. based employees of federal contractors and subcontractors, all U.S. based VMware employees will be required to have their final vaccination dose (e.g., second dose of Pfizer or Moderna, or single dose of J&J) by January 4, 2022. Specifically, this means that all U.S. based VMware employees will need to be fully vaccinated by January 18th, 2022, or by their first date of employment if after that date, subject to legally required accommodations.
To apply for this job please visit bit.ly.