The Kansas City Star is looking for a part-time Associate Editor to join our collaborative and energetic Opinion team. This editor will be a key player in cultivating and editing compelling opinion content and working with writers to develop high-impact opinion journalism.
The successful candidate should have excellent news judgment, editing skills and a sense of urgency. We value accountability journalism and a commitment to accuracy, fairness and ethics, as well as a creative and collaborative approach to delivering news on all of our platforms. We’re looking for someone who also can help develop and edit community voices that add to our opinion pages.
This editor should embrace the challenge of developing opinion content for both digital and print. We are a digital-first newsroom that leverages metrics and analytics to improve our coverage.
Role and responsibilities:
- Edit opinion editorials and columns with an eye toward urgent, compelling content.
- Work with reporters to drive coverage and develop stories off the news, with a focus on accountability journalism.
- Recruit community and state voices to produce urgent and powerful local/state op-eds.
- College degree preferred.
- 5+ years of local news and editing
- Strong word editing and organizational skills.
- Familiarity with both print and digital planning and packaging.
- Excellent news judgment and journalism ethics.
- Strong collaborative instincts and a love of teamwork.
McClatchy is committed to providing equal employment opportunity (EEO) for all applicants and employees. McClatchy considers all candidates without regard to basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, sexual orientation, ancestry, medical condition, family care status, pregnancy or physical disability (except where physical fitness is a valid occupational qualification), or any other basis protected by state and federal laws.
To apply for this job please visit bit.ly.