Tips to Revive a Dead Email List
When it comes to email marketing, maintaining your list is crucial to your long-term engagement rate and overall success. Identifying inactive subscribers can help you trim your list and obtain a higher number of new, more engaged subscribers over time.
Here are some ideal tips to re-engage dead email subscribers and improve your email marketing strategy.
Build a Niche Audience
First thing’s first: reviving a dead email list becomes much harder when your audience is too broad. If you operate a multi-purpose website, place different subscription forms into each section or category and clearly state what they will receive once subscribed. The more targeted your messages are, the more likely your subscribers are to receive them with open arms.
Segment Inactive Subscribers
Even niche audiences fail to open your emails as time goes by, typically due to delivery inconsistencies, poor subject lines, uninteresting content, among other reasons. As some of your subscribers become inactive, separate them from those who typically open your messages. This allows you to better analyze a plan of attack and properly re-engage them with specific content that your active list is not necessarily interested in.
Ask the Right Questions…with an Incentive
As specific content goes, this typically involves a series of questions to find out how your blog, products or services can improve. However, keep in mind that these people have not engaged with you for some time now, which means that your subject line needs to be exceptional.
To help increase open rates, offer a compelling incentive that your audience may appreciate (such as a $5 gift card to some users). Moreover, include this incentive in the subject line and keep your content body concise.
Focus on Responsive Subscribers
Regardless how good your re-engagement emails are, not all subscribers will be receptive of your efforts. However, it’s fairly safe to say that a decent portion will respond by either opening the email or clicking any given link you include.
The rest of them, sadly, may need to be removed from your email list altogether. Keep in mind, though, that your list will now be smaller but of much higher quality.
Build a Relationship
Building a subscriber list is only half the battle. The other half consists of building, scaling, and sustaining a great relationship with your subscribers.
Remember, people subscribed to you because they initially had an interest in your services and overall content, but it’s important to not deviate from providing quality in favor of quantity. As an unofficial rule, 80% of your emails should consist of helpful information (with no catch) while the remaining 20% can focus on pitching the occasional offer or discount.
From this point forward it’s important to develop a consistent plan to help keep your email list from getting stale. This includes keeping in touch frequently, but not overwhelming them either. Don’t make your emails longer than necessary, and always have your readers’ best interests in mind.
If you lack the time to send emails consistently, schedule a series of autoresponders to be delivered in intervals (such as every five to seven days).
Have them Update their Contact Details
In addition to the above, send out an email asking your subscribers whether they wish to update their contact information (perhaps once every six months). The link to modify this information is typically found at the bottom of the emails they receive, but placing a bigger focus on this will remind them that the option is very much available.
Some readers may start using an email address that’s more suitable for them, as they move from one email service to another. This, in turn, helps increase your overall response from them.
Keeping a close eye on this is a surefire way to re-engage dead email subscribers in no time. Although currently-active subscribers may also become more inactive in time, these strategies will always keep your list much healthier and engaged with your content.
Also don’t miss:
Author: Elvis Michael
Elvis Michael is an avid blogger and e-trepreneur, endlessly exploring new ideas and effective ways to inspire.